photo credit: sdcounty.ca.gov
Bonsall is a small community of about 30,000 residents within the unincorporated northeast end of San Diego County. It is located generally west of the intersection of Interstate 15 and Highway 76. The beaches of Oceanside are conveniently only a half hour away, downtown San Diego is 45 minutes away, and wine country of Temecula is just 15 minutes away. Here are five great reasons to love Bonsall:
1. Small Town Feel - Bonsall is rural, isolated from the major “big box” retailers that come standard with most communities. Instead of seeing infrastructure and development as you gaze the horizon, you see mountains and trees. Even the denser developments of Bonsall have beautiful views. And neighbors are friendly and personable! Though Bonsall is a relatively small community, it’s not absent of quality retailers. It is home to the Wild Wonders Wildlife Zoo and Preserve, San Luis Rey Downs Country Club, and the Digiplex River Village Cinemas. If you’re looking for good food, consider Peking Wok, Tekila Cocina Mexicana, Village Pizza, and Nessy Burger. For the sweet tooth, head to Bailey’s Frozen Yogurt or the Bonsall Donut House.
2. Exploring - Pick your pleasure; you are in the mecca of adventure. Camping, rock climbing, fishing, hiking, off-roading, horseback riding, and other outdoor activities are in your backyard. Both Pala Resort & Casino and Palomar Mountain are also a short drive away.
3. Excellent School District - One of the best kept secrets in San Diego County is Bonsall Unified School District. In addition to its outstanding reputation, Bonsall ranks 8’s and 9’s (out of 10) across the board for test scores according to Greatschools.org. That’s as good as the “Award Winning” Poway Unified School District, with all the additional benefits of education in a small town.
4. Convenient Location - Many people don’t realize how quick Highway 76 can get you to the Interstate 5 from Interstate 15. Bonsall allows for easy access to both the “76” and the “15”. Whether you’re heading to Downtown San Diego, Orange County, Oceanside beaches, or Temecula wineries, Bonsall is centrally located to get you there.
5. Housing Prices - Home prices in Bonsall are 23 percent less than prices in the nearby and desirable Rancho Bernardo area - and the housing stock is newer. Basically, Bonsall offers a new house at a lower price (low- to mid- $400,000s for a home built within the last five years). Also, Bonsall boasts a higher home ownership rate at 68 percent. Nothing says community pride better than the home ownership rate.
Quaint, friendly, and scenic; Bonsall is that homey place that everyone who lives in San Diego daydreams about when they consider moving elsewhere. We’d love to hear what you love best about Bonsall!
1000s2u currently offers a 1,970 sq. ft. detached, three bedroom, two and a half bath home in the Lake Rancho Viejo Community located in the Fallbrook/Bonsall area. This home was built in 2007 with a nice sized back yard and is surrounded by mountain views (all for only $424,900). For this and other listings, please check out the Real Estate section of our website.
Dave De Vries, MBA, AICP
Principal and Broker
1000s2u Real Estate and Planning Services
(619) 302-7715 cell