Rancho Peñasquitos (PQ) is a community of about 55,000 residents within the City of San Diego. It is located immediately west of Interstate 15 on either side of Highway 56. The beaches of Del Mar are a quick 15 minute drive, and downtown San Diego is 25 minutes away. Rancho Peñasquitos is near and dear to our hearts because it’s where my wife and I chose to raise our family. Here are five great reasons to love PQ:
1. Parks. On the south end of PQ is the Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve. Rich with hiking/biking/waking/equestrian trails, this urban park spans 7 miles and is perfect for the outdoor enthusiast.
PQ also has many neighborhood parks to enjoy. For example, Hilltop Community Park is perched up on a hill with panoramic views of San Diego, stretching all the way to the ocean. There is also the PQ Skate Park which lures a lot of the middle and high schoolers.
2. School District. PQ is located within the “Award Winning” Poway Unified School District. Schools in this District routinely score 8 to 10 on Greatschools.com and this great school district is reason enough to choose PQ!
3. Large Lots and Views. PQ is a bedroom community encompassing rolling hills and canyons. Most of the housing consists of single-family residences on large lots; and because of the hills and canyons, a lot of them have spectacular views. This provides endless opportunities for the backyard of your dreams.
4. Location. PQ is conveniently located in between Central and North County San Diego, making it an attractive location for all. With the community having easy access to both the 15 and 56 freeways, a drive to downtown, local beaches, and shopping malls are all within 20 minutes. Traffic to and from PQ to downtown and East County areas is surprisingly light on most days. Even though PQ is mostly a residential community, both Mira Mesa (south), and Carmel Mountain (east) have all of the commercial stores and restaurants you could need, and are just a few minutes away.
5. Community. While PQ is within the bustling jurisdiction of San Diego City, it actually boasts a warm community feel. During holidays, plan on decorating, cause you’ll be among the majority. If you’ve lived in San Diego for awhile, chances are you’ve heard of “Christmas Card Lane”, one of the most well-known neighborhood holiday decoration displays around. Located on Oviedo Street and its neighboring streets, Christmas Card Lane is a holiday must-do with its lights, cardboard cartoon displays, and the occasional girl scout troop eager to sell you hot cocoa as you enjoy a walk through the displays on a brisk night.
Also, check out the annual Cinco De Mayo community festival, “Fiesta De Los Peñasquitos”. This event features food, arts & crafts, family fun zones, and lots more, with all proceeds returned to the community.
Finally, the small shopping centers in PQ offer everyday essentials and be sure to check out some of the local eateries like Smash Burger, Jersey Mike’s, and the Original Sab-E-Lee. For breakfast try PQ Donuts and Golden Bagel.
Living and working in PQ gives us a lot of experience with the area. We’d love you to join our community and would be happy to assist you with your buy, sell, or development project.
David De Vries, MBA, AICP
Broker's Lic. # 01893653
1000s2u Real Estate & Planning Services
(619) 302-7715 cell